Definition: Enduring Understandings
Enduring understandings are statements summarizing important ideas and core processes that are central to a discipline and have lasting value beyond the classroom. They synthesize what students should understand—not just know or do—as a result of studying a particular content area. Moreover, they articulate what students should “revisit” over the course of their lifetimes in relationship to the content area.
- frame the big ideas that give meaning and lasting importance to such discrete curriculum elements as facts and skills
- can transfer to other fields as well as adult life
- “unpack” areas of the curriculum where students may struggle to gain understanding or demonstrate misunderstandings and misconceptions
- provide a conceptual foundation for studying the content area and
- are deliberately framed as declarative sentences that present major curriculum generalizations and recurrent ideas.
This is an Enduring Understanding
is a process by which we construct meaning about the information being
communicated by an author within a print or non-print medium.
This is an Essential Question
How is reading a process of constructing meaning